In May 2014 I was visiting Amsterdam for several meetings and concerts, and sitting in a cafe for a break, relaxing in the sun, I had got an email. The text was as following: “when will we receive the material? You are late.” Continue reading
I have always been interested in what ordinary, ‘lay people’ think about the contemporary music, and herewith – my music; what they experience, what it means for them. Continue reading
About the essences in music.
1. There are two types of essences in music according to their importance: one of a higher and one of a lower importance. Continue reading
The new music:
- It must basically be made as a simple construction, the parameters are simple;
- From this focused simplicity follows a complex spirit. That complex spirit arises through its manifestation (instrumentation, form, layer …);
- The formal (vertical and horizontal) structure by itself must be very solid. The uniformity of the work is like a steal monument poured out from one part;
- Unison, two-part singing. Essentially of the new intervals, Byzantine intervals. The essence of the Holy Spirit.
ASCETIC DISCOURSE is a cantata for voice and chamber ensemble. The music is inspired by contemplative text of Abba Philimon, taken from an old Byzantine spiritual collection called “Philokalia” and it is my try to mirror it musically on an intimate, and pure personal, level. Continue reading
Discourse on spirit and intellect.
1. The activity of productive art is an energetic flow of spirit, intellect and emotion. Continue reading